I’m starting this new-to-me year of blogging with something I’ve never done before: a craft-along! Actually I’m calling it a recraft-along because there are no new materials used in this craft, aside from the glue that is. The project is made entirely of paper recyclables. I invite you to join me ’cause it’ll be fun fun fun and the result will be very pretty!
What are we making?… A valid question.
When I was toying with the idea of doing a paper craft-along, I was reading a booklet called “The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember“. Numerous times in this little gem of a book, Mister Rogers mentions how important listening is when it comes to truly caring for others. And I, for one, 100% agree with him. Unfortunately I am far from being the model listener. I’m so distracted with everything I do, I often tune out even my most beloved people. And worse still, I sometimes fail to listen to my own heart. Know what I mean?… So, I thought I’d make myself a gentle reminder. I distilled Mister Rogers’ message to simply say “Loving Is Listening” and created a spring flavoured design to go along with it. And then I thought, if I could use this reminder, then maybe others could too? Thus, the recraft-along was born.
Now, you could simply take the design, and produce it on a flat piece of cardboard and frame it. That would be great. Personally, I’ll be refurbishing a cereal box. I’m thinking my altered cereal box could be used in a few different ways. It could serve as a fancy gift box for Mothers Day, eh? Or as a decorative storage box? But it might also work as a sweet flower pot. In fact, that’s how I’ll be using mine. I promise to show you pictures of my flower pot a little later on. So the final use of this thing is entirely up to you!
If you choose to work through the recraft-along with me, there are a few things you might want to keep in mind.
- This craft was designed for the intermediate crafter. But no worries. If you want to do it, it doesn’t matter what your level is. The recraft-along is here for you and so am I. But also, I would NOT suggest this craft for kids as there are craft/utility knives involved.
- If you have a question, leave a comment in the comments section. I will do my best to answer any recraft-along questions within the comments section so that everyone has access to the answers.
- Despite how it looks, this is not the quickest craft. It will probably not get done in one sitting. I mean, it is possible to get it done in one sitting, but it is unlikely. And in fact, there’s no need to rush it. You’ll get better results if you don’t. So take your time and enjoy the process.
- There’s a newfangled “Loving is Listening Flickr Group” somewhere… Oh HERE it is. Upload process and finished photos there if you like.
- You can do what I do, but you don’t have to do what I do. In other words, feel free to take the design and make it your own, change things up, move elements around, use completely different materials. See, I don’t know everything you like. So go bananas and totally do your own thing with this! And then post photos to the Flickr group so I can check ’em out!
One last thing, I’m still working on a craft-along button. It should be ready for next time methinks… Okeedokey, I think that’s it for now.
Oh and here’s the button now! (If you wish to get a button for yourself, the button code is located at the very bottom on the blog!)