Denim denim denim. Playing with my dear denim all month long. Making cute things. And recycling my head off. Can you tell I’m having fun over here?
If you haven’t had the chance yet to make anything out of your old jeans, here is a very simple and pretty photo display that can be done with just a few scraps. Don’t sew? No prob, Bob. Nary a stitch is needed. Step into my office…
Tutorial: Fall Floral Fridge Photo Display
You will need:
- Scraps of jeans and other fabrics
- cardboard for protecting your work surface
- Pair of scissors
- Circle templates in many sizes (made of cereal box cardboard)
- Fabric stiffener (I used Stiffy by Plaid) and tray (to pour it into)
- White glue (PVA)
- Rubber cement
- Small magnets
- Some favourite photos
1. Protect your work surface with a hunk of cardboard or a platter. Take out your fabric stiffener, a paintbrush, a tray or plate, and some delicious denim scraps. (I only show one scrap here but you’ll need a few in a couple different shades.)
2. Pour some fabric stiffener onto your tray. Liberally “paint” your scraps of denim with the stiffener. Cover each piece evenly. In this case, more is more. You want your scraps to be saturated with the stiffener. Allow the pieces to dry. If you’re like me (a wee bit impatient), throw the saturated scraps on a platter and put them in the microwave for 30 second increments until dry.
To make ONE fridge flower magnet:
3. Using your circle templates, draw out 2 progressively larger circles from different shades of stiffened denim. Cut them out.
4. Draw out petals on each of the 2 circles. Cut them out. Draw out a circle in the middle of the smaller denim circle. Cut it out. You should now have 2 parts: one ring with petals (frame) and one flower with petals (bottom) as shown in #4.
5. Curl up the petals of each part by bending each petal up between your fingers. This will give your flower dimension.
6. Cut out a photo to fit within the top ring (frame) but also within the bottom flower.
7. Attach a magnet to the back of your bottom flower. I used a little dab of rubber cement to make sure the bond lasts. Allow to dry.
8. Glue the photo into your bottom flower using white (PVA) glue.
9. Glue the flower frame on top of your photo.
Make a slew, a whack, a whole spray of these, some with photos, some with colourful fabrics scraps for a fall floral fridge photo display!
You can even make up a few monograms to add to the mix…
Place those flowers on your fridge, step back and enjoy your display!
Teaser alert! I’ll soon be releasing a new design to my little shop that takes today’s tutorial one-step further. Stay tuned…
Today I’m Diggin’ This Denim: (THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE by the way) Denim Work by Julie Floersch
You have a lovely weekend now. Gwen from Gwenny Penny will be at the helm on Monday. Can’t wait to see what sort of drop-dead denim she’s come up with!
For some reason the first flickr photo did not appear for me, but the others did. I totally love these little denim frames. They would also be very cute Christmas ornaments hanging from a tree (instead of magnets) – can you imagine a denim Christmas tree – I can see it in your house. Really, I can!! Have a great weekend Michele.
I couldn't see the flicker photo either but this adorable. Love it.
CREATIVE MIND says
how cute..i love the tutorial..denim will definitely feel proud whenever you did any experiment with it 🙂 thanks for sharing others ideas too..Lots of Love..
I cant see the first pic,, flicker..!!!
von Hand zu Hand says
really cool! great idea.
I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!
So fun. They remind me of sunflowers.
Elise Engh says
Very cute! This is my favorite denim project of yours- so far. But I'm sure you've got many more creative goodies up your sleeve. You are so creative!
I just love them! 🙂
This is amazing Michele!!! I just love it!! The detail is just beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. Hugs Ariane
...ar cieņu un smaidu,.. says
🙂 I Love Your Blog and Ideas, and this too!! 🙂 awwwwesome !!!
You know, I had never heard of Fabric Stiffener before but that looks like it could be a lot of fun!! I will have to look for some. I really love this idea. Then again, anything floral generally appeals to me!
Little Treasures says
I agree with KJ! These would be fantastic ornaments! Like them too!!
Great idea!! These would also make great embellishments for scrapbooking!
Michelle L. says
What a pretty look! I esp. love how the photo is sandwiched between the layers!
Another fab idea..love it
Hugs Suz x
Gwen @ Gwenny Penny says
What an adorable idea, Michele! I love these. And I love how you used both sides of the denim to get different shades.
A unique idea! And another great way to use scraps!