Tutorial ❉ Twig ‘n Bead Tree Ornaments
You will need:
- Beads (to make them you’ll need: paper, pair of scissors, skewer or drinking straw, and glue)
- Twigs with V shaped crotches
- Pair of scissors
- Handsaw to trim the twigs
- Drill with tiny bit
- Large-eyed needle
Begin by scrounging around the neighbourhood for a few fallen twigs-slash-branches with v-shaped crotches as shown below. Trim off the excess wood according to the diagram. I’ve trimmed the sides of my “V” (technically, it is an upside-down “V” but I’m going to call it a “V” to keep things rolling…) to approximately 9-inches long. More will be taken off later on.
Next, roll up some paper beads. You know how to make these right? Here’s a tutorial courtesy of Paper University just in case you don’t. I used 8 to 11 beads for each little tree but it really will depend on how big you want your ornament to be. Go with the flow, roll with the punches, use as many beads as you like!
5. Thread paper beads onto the three central doubled strings as shown.
6. Tie a knot in the collection of strings at the base of the central bottom bead.
7. Insert 3 more paper beads as shown in #7.
8. Bring one string from the base of each side bead into the center.
9. Again, tie a knot at the base of the central bead incorporating one string from each side bead in the knot.
10. Using the two strings set aside in 8, tie a small knot above the other big knot you just tied. Turn the ornament over and using those same two strings, tie another small knot above the big knot. Slip a final bead up the center strings.
11. Bring those two side strings down and around the final bead and tie knots front and back as in #10.
12. Thread those two knotty side strings onto a needle and pass the needle up through the final bead to hide the two strings. Trim the excess.
CREATIVE MIND says
How cute 🙂 I try these paper beads twice but i dont know whats wrong here so i always fail in making these in a perfect shape..your smart tree ornament is perfect !! Have fun 🙂
Every time I see your creations I realize that I get a smile on my face 🙂
Keep doing it, please!!!
Kisses from Porto, Portugal
Michelle L. says
Just the most charming thing a person could ever do with a twig! Made me squeak!
I love these!!! Gorgeous!!!
Maria's Craft says
Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [13 Nov 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria
So very pretty! Love combination of the twigs and beds.
nicolette at dutchcomfort says
This is soooooo gorgeous!
É maravilhoso o que você faz. Adorei!
This is the most beautiful and creative way to use paper beads I have ever, ever, ever seen! I still remember learning to make paper beads – my Great Grandmother taught me. I would play with them for hours – stringing and unstringing and stringing again.
I have been tempted to play again, but so much that i do these days is blog oriented and there are tutorials aplenty out there. BUT THIS – OMG I am so making paper beads again and hope to make a twig ornament just half as pretty as this one.
thank you so much.
Michele Pacey says
Creative Mind: The beads can be a little bit tricky but you can remedy that by wrapping them around a plastic straw or as I did, a wooden skewer. It really simplifies the whole process!
Doro von Hand zu Hand says
very creative. i love this look!
I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!