Tutorial ❉ Twig ‘n Bead Tree Ornaments
You will need:
- Beads (to make them you’ll need: paper, pair of scissors, skewer or drinking straw, and glue)
- Twigs with V shaped crotches
- Pair of scissors
- Handsaw to trim the twigs
- Drill with tiny bit
- Large-eyed needle
Begin by scrounging around the neighbourhood for a few fallen twigs-slash-branches with v-shaped crotches as shown below. Trim off the excess wood according to the diagram. I’ve trimmed the sides of my “V” (technically, it is an upside-down “V” but I’m going to call it a “V” to keep things rolling…) to approximately 9-inches long. More will be taken off later on.
Next, roll up some paper beads. You know how to make these right? Here’s a tutorial courtesy of Paper University just in case you don’t. I used 8 to 11 beads for each little tree but it really will depend on how big you want your ornament to be. Go with the flow, roll with the punches, use as many beads as you like!
5. Thread paper beads onto the three central doubled strings as shown.
6. Tie a knot in the collection of strings at the base of the central bottom bead.
7. Insert 3 more paper beads as shown in #7.
8. Bring one string from the base of each side bead into the center.
9. Again, tie a knot at the base of the central bead incorporating one string from each side bead in the knot.
10. Using the two strings set aside in 8, tie a small knot above the other big knot you just tied. Turn the ornament over and using those same two strings, tie another small knot above the big knot. Slip a final bead up the center strings.
11. Bring those two side strings down and around the final bead and tie knots front and back as in #10.
12. Thread those two knotty side strings onto a needle and pass the needle up through the final bead to hide the two strings. Trim the excess.